Thursday, August 26, 2010

2 suitcases and a year...



I'm going away as a exchange student to one of Korea's best university. After being literally struggling with paperwork for most of the year it's time now to say goodbye to all my trusted friends and board the airplane with all my expectations, fears and belongings.

So it's only me and two suitcases for a year. Of course I'm counting on all my friends and most of all Jean, my love who supported and pushed me from the very beginning. Without their support I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be me.




I left Montreal on early August 20th and arrived in Seoul late evening on August 21st. I had a rough beginning. I will leave out the details but let's say it took me 35 hours to get here instead of the original 18hrs and one more connection in Tokyo than originally planned. In all this confusion my luggage was lost (well delayed). It took a lot of time, patience, and phone calls with them to finally get my two suitcase in relatively good shape on last Tuesday night so 3 days later. 3 days without clothes when it's a normal of 30 degrees , very humid and raining on and off all the time when I have literally 1 pair of jeans and 2 t-shirts. it was soo hot. On top of that I got problems with the manager of the "dorm" I reserved. I expected my room to be small but turns out I got a really small one, smaller than the others on this floor, my fan and AC and light wasn't working and I was paying the same price !?! After everything this!? I just lost it. Plus I'm not sure if it's cultural differences or whatever but I got the impression I was being talked down. Anyway after complaining some things got fixed and the good news is I will be changing rooms in a week because I'm literally less than a meter from the front door and office and all the noise that comes with it, at night and during the day as well.

Thanks to my friends here/home and speaking with Jean over the internet everyday, I could retain my sanity in my bathroom size closet with a bed. haha

So in all I wanted to write my story earlier but with all that I was so discouraged and jet lagged that I just tried to be better, going to the orientation at school and trying to make some friends. I got some new friends and a cold as well haha. Yup this wonderful hot and humid weather with air conditioning inside got me but at least today I don't have fever and I feel better after taking some medicine.

I will write here, my adventure for a year in the Kimchi republic. visit often I will update once in a while and try not to be too boring. ^^

leave your comments if you have any I will read them all.

Isabelle
이자벨


5 comments:

  1. Hey dont u have the pics of the other side of the table of the farewell party? pictures of your new friends? food :D~? I leuvvvvv uuuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let anyone push you around ;-). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They probably make some extra spicy medicinal kimchi out there. I'm sure it'd help and go down better than those 800mg pills they gave you at the Pharmacy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone! :D

    Jean : I killed it with spicy soup! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour,
    Je te souhaite une bonne semaine.
    Je t'envoie mes ondes positives...
    Lise XXX

    ReplyDelete